Thursday, September 9, 2010

What Did I Get For My Birthday? A Blown Mind.

I spent my 18th birthday away from home. But, man...was it a good birthday!

My friends sent me numerous texts, Facebook messages, and voicemail messages on my birthday. I went to a concert the night before my birthday. I got sung to in the middle of the caf and in front of the mailboxes. And at the beginning of Dr. Jenson's lecture. I felt loved, and it was great.

The day after my birthday, I had a Torrey session, my first session in a week, and I was looking forward to it. As we sat in our classroom waiting for our tutor, a sophomore poked his head in and asked, "How fast can you run? Because you guys are late for your first Reynolds session."

Naturally, we booked it to Dr. Reynolds's office.

So after we (well, most of us) got seated, Dr. Reynolds walks in with a platter full of cupcakes, made for me for my birthday by the amazing Amanda Viel. And of course, I got sung to. Again.

The session was amazing. For anyone who does not know what Torrey is, I will cut the chit-chat and just say that the discussion we had blew my mind. I cannot even begin to list what we talked about because it all requires so much depth that I am completely inadequate of covering. Suffice it to say that I was humbled, slapped in the face (metaphorically), and thoroughly encouraged...all in three hours. Not to mention that my brain completely exploded from the sheer fascination of it all.

If that wasn't enough, I had a great discussion with some of the people from my group afterwards. I learned how they pulled off the cupcake thing, which I think was so kind of them. I felt incredibly loved. After all, I have known these people less than a month, and they took the time to plan a birthday surprise for me. I know without a doubt that God put me in Quadratus, with this group of people, in Torrey, and at Biola for a reason. God...all I can say is thank You.

3 comments:

  1. Mary Kate told me the day before about what they were doing for your birthday with the cupcakes and all that. Glad you had fun! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know how they pulled off the cupcake thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg: Apparently it was super-secret because I had NO IDEA what was going on. Sean even kept it a secret that we were going to have Reynolds session, so that was part of the secret.
    Robynne: Sean Tosello and Amanda Viel went into the Torrey office and explained what they wanted to do, and arranged the whole thing (which is when they found out about the Reynolds session). Amanda baked the cupcakes and then hid them, I guess. I was super surprised and so incredibly happy.

    ReplyDelete