Monday, January 3, 2011

On Beauty

A few months ago, I had the privilege of being a part of a lovely conversation about beauty with some wonderful friends. We had just watched the movie An Education. For most of us, it was our first time watching the it, and it ended with questions, thoughts, and concerns in the hearts of the viewers. We sat in the Reynolds' garage-turned-hang-out-room, cups of tea in hand, curled up on comfy couches. While we let out these responses to the movie, the conversation slowly became one about beauty, instead of about the movie. It was one of the most wonderful moments I have experienced at Biola. I only regret that I spent more energy trying to follow the conversation that actually engaging in it, as I was still learning how to properly discuss ideas.

As we sat discussing what beauty was and our response to it, one idea on the table hit me and has remained with me. My friend Mary Kate mentioned that things could be appreciated for their aesthetic appeal, and not necessarily have any other purpose. She said that sometimes, when she is worn out and discouraged, observing beauty rejuvenates her. It was a wonderful idea, but now I am finally understanding what she meant. Sometimes it isn't the Bible verses or encouraging words from my friends that keep me going when I want to give up. Sometimes it is the pictures taken by my friend Juliet and posted on her blog that keep me going. Sometimes it's a perfectly phrased sentiment, or an analogy that finally helps me understand an abstract concept that keeps me going. Sometimes it is seeing the mountains covered in snow or a valley filled with wildflowers that reminds me that God is bigger and more awesome than I can comprehend. Sometimes I just need beauty to let me know that it will be all right.

1 comment:

  1. Such a good thought! Leave it to MK to come up with a zinger. I've always considered myself a great lover of beauty but I never stopped to think about what that meant - how things can be purposed to be beautiful.

    I think beauty can be a motivation, a reason for living. Sometimes I struggle to understand the purpose of life. Because I'm saved, I know I will be dwell in Heaven when I die, but what do I do in the meantime? It's as if life is a waiting room, or a train station. What do you do in the time before you depart? You can't do anything to get to where you're going sooner. I guess you can only prepare for what's coming, and try to enjoy where you are; that's where beauty comes in, perhaps. I dunno, I'm rambling. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on this!

    ReplyDelete