Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Curly Girl

Curly hair is something I will never quite understand. When I was little (as in five years old) I had straight hair. I would look at the girls in books with beautiful curly hair and say, "I wish my hair would look like that..." Of course, whenever you say that, you automatically expect that whatever you wished for will never happen, right? Wrong. Somehow, I ended up with curly hair.

I don't understand how it happened. My mom has stick-straight blonde hair. My dad and brother have thick dark hair. So I can't figure out why I got curly hair.

After much stress of trying to figure out what in the world I should do with this mop of frizzy, curly, unmanageable, crazy, wild hair, I finally learned to let it curl. I'm still experimenting with what could work with it, but at least I learned to like curly hair. Here's why:

Curly hair is so much more forgiving than straight hair. It doesn't have to be cut "just so," it still looks fine if it is tousled by the wind, and it looks cute when it's messy (well, sometimes).

Curly hair is so much more fun. It's a new experience every day. One day it's tame, the next it's wild, the next it's half-and-half. Always entertaining.

So, if you have curly hair, stop wishing it was straight and just have fun with it. If you have straight hair...start wishing for curly hair like I did!

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Finally one of you curly-haired people who actually enjoys it! I'm always telling my curly-haired friends that I'm envious, but they tell me I shouldn't be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had to embrace my curls-whether I want to or not. I've learned to like them-though they are hard to deal with. (=

    ReplyDelete